This page will list resources we have found over the years for pursuing a healthy, safe, and productive career at UCSB.
Diversity Equity & Inclusion resources
- Readings: a GoogleDoc where we add resources for building an inclusive lab culture.
- LEAFY: A local program led by Prof. Diana Arya that supports students from ages 11-14 to learn about the science of gardening, environmental awareness and nutrition, and to create art related to these topics. They are looking for UCSB volunteers!
- Curie-osity: A program (again led by Prof. Diana Arya) for the local Girls Inc. The Oono lab has hosted several groups in the past in endophyte culturing. Contact Diana or Ryoko if you want to get involved!
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Wellness (DEIW) committee meetings led by graduate student is open to all in EEMB weekly on Zoom.
- Ombuds - Help with communication skills to help with conflicts, offers mediation services, and resources.
- Ethics Report - If you need to report unethical behavior on campus
- Office of Equal Opportunity - Report issues of discrimination, retaliation and sexual harassment or sexual violence involving UC students, staff and faculty.
- Bias Report - If you face any bias in the EEMB department.
- Hotline - If you face discrimination and harrasment at UCSB.
Science resources (good reads for scientists at any stage of their career)
- The Truth Wears Off by Jonah Lehrer #An eye-opening and interesting account of the replication crisis.
- Strong Inference: the way of science by T. B. Kinraide and R. F. Denison (2003). #If you're looking to better understand how to formulate hypotheses and design effective experiments to test them, this is a great read. This helped me through grad school.
- Ten common statistical mistakes to watch out by Tamar R Makin and Jean-Jacques Orban de Xivry (2019)
- On Being A Scientist: A Guide to Responsible Conduct in Research. Contributed by Committee on Science, Engineering, and Public Policy; National Academy of Sciences; National Academy of Engineering; Institute of Medicine
- EEMB Handbooks: https://www.eemb.ucsb.edu/academics/graduate/resources
- EEMB Course Checksheet: https://my.sa.ucsb.edu/catalog/Current/CollegesDepartments/ls-intro/eemb.aspx?DeptTab=Graduate
- EEMB Nectir Channel: https://ucsb.nectir.io/channel/eembgrads
- EEMB By-laws:
- EEMB Mission
- Organizations for minorities: A GoogleDoc where we update resources for minority groups at UCSB.
- Shared instruments at UCSB: https://www.sharedinstrumentation.ucsb.edu/
- Grad Division Forms + Petitions: https://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/academic/forms-petitions
- Grad Division Committee Guidelines: https://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/academic/committees
- Grad Division Contact Us Page: https://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/contact
- Basic Resources for health: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Ud1Y6wL3Ncjy6hdYd054Wj9rPfM8o-XfZwDyec8uJqk/edit#slide=id.g8b35a11b7e_1_0
- FAQ for Grad Students during COVID: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KhvwyVDbOBMaK1MG4mFUM51FL3oB0LC3gI7DEA-zwJY/edit
- Noble Hall Tracking Sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ytMOsZqVIx9n0vmI8_q92dXdSXiYhKxu4cctvLJctTI/edit#gid=0
- COVID safety slides (all personnel must review): https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/14udvvXDuKfHozP-5QwUMqGBvXd1W2G5MeYV2zCPHL94/edit?usp=sharing
- Get tested: https://studenthealthoc.sa.ucsb.edu/login_dualauthentication.aspx